Sunday, September 27, 2009

Introduction

I love music.

Since my earliest memories music has played a substantial part in my life. As a toddler I remember sitting on the sofa and physically rocking back and forth to melodies that were performing in my mind. Not to any music that I heard on the radio or television, just random tunes that were manifesting themselves in my thoughts. I would hum the melodies and rock back and forth to the rhythm that, for whatever reason, was giving itself to me. Of course my parents, being concerned, brought this to the attention of my pediatrician who told them not to worry it was my way of releasing stress. Even to this day I find great relief from the everyday tribulations of life when I play my guitar or listen to relaxing music or sing. There is a great spiritual power to music whether it be easy listening, rock, classical, metal, hard core or pop. Music has the power to heal, to enlighten, to rally, to motivate and to set forth change in people's lives.

What I intend to put in place here is a bit of a journal of sorts. I've never gone to school for music or taken any courses in studio engineering. I have no clue on how to write (or read for that matter) sheet music. My credentials are simple. I have played guitar for over 25 years, performed professionally in a rock band for nearly 13 years with whom I  recorded a 12 song CD and been an avid listener of every genre of music my entire life. I am currently putting the finishing touches on a home recording studio and decided to document my projects here on this blog. Everything I learn, every mistake I make and every successful result will be logged by me in hopes that others will learn from what I have done. I will list any and all software and hardware I use and techniques (good and bad). Since I am doing this on a realistic budget I am hoping to surprise myself with better than expected results using less than top notch tools. I believe that the best tool any single recording artist can have is an ear for what sounds good and what doesn't.

So with that, welcome to my journey, I hope you enjoy the ride.

No comments: