Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Proof in the Pudding

In seems that some time has past since my last blog post. This is mostly due to the fact that I have been heavily involved in recording with a songwriting colleague of mine. What follows are two links that contain music from those very distinct recording sessions.

There are a couple of changes to the equipment I am using on these two projects. First, I have upgraded to using Cubase 5 and will post a blog at a later date that reviews my experiences with the program (all good I assure you). The other change in equipment has to do with MIDI drum programming. In the first link to the "Enslaving Grace" Project, I am using my reliable Alesis SR-16 drum module to supply beats, however you will notice a significant change in sound and feel on the second link to the "Worry The Bones" Project. On this particular project I had the great experience of using a software program called EZDrummer, which I will also review in a later post. The differences are incredible yet both supply a unique atmosphere to each project.

I won't go into much detail here about these projects but I will break them down at a later time to explain what it is I am doing, as far as engineering, to achieve the results you hear. Aside from piano and synths, I am performing all instrumental tasks on these two projects as well as supplying background vocals to lead singer Derek Richards. Both these projects were written, recorded mixed and mastered within a 10 month period totaling 33 songs, along with some that have yet to be finished. This was a labor of love for both of us and I am very pleased to be able to share the results here on this blog.





No comments: